Saturday, June 3, 2017

Chasing Slow

 Erin Loechner wrote a book that grabbed my attention from the first words.  Was it the fact that she moved away from all that was familiar for her husband?  Was it the fact that she loves writing?  Was it the fact that she and her husband made mistakes?  Was it the crushing feeling of failure when you have to file bankruptcy?  Was it the realization that what everyone else strives for isn't what you desire?

Yes... to all and more.

Reading about her husband's brain tumor, I felt as I do when I think of my daughters and their health battles.  Am I loving them and enjoying them?  Or am I focused on the disease they battle?  

Erin discovered what many are discovering, that stuff isn't the answer.  She discovered, also, that minimalism is only a tool.  It's only a method to help bring true values into focus.  Her journey, as told in this book, has lessons for everyone.  Sometimes that journey isn't a straight line, but one of twists and turns, setbacks and comebacks.

My journey into simple living has been a bit crazy.  My books and pictures still complicate simplicity because I have too many and love them so much.  And I homeschool, so books are part of the deal.  My wardrobe isn't capsule, but it isn't huge, either, because I am not much of a clothes hound.  

Erin showed me that it's okay to be on a journey and not a race.  It's okay to be working toward simplicity and not have it all figured out.  It's okay to make mistakes, or to have previous mistakes still part of you.

This book was not like most minimalism or living simply books.  There aren't a lot of tips for having a minimalist kitchen. This was a story, with a lot of life's messy twists and turns and heartaches and confusions.  We don't know the end from the beginning.  

If living simply is something you strive for, then I hope you read Chasing Slow.  Sometimes a story holds the best lessons. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lives or Livelihood is the Wrong Question

I have loved ones that are considered high risk.  Being infected with Covid-19 would place their lives in extreme peril.  The though...