Thursday, January 11, 2018

Scripture Writing


It’s so simple, really.  I’ve done it before, but this time it is not a neat idea or a duty.  It is joy.

One of my favorite books is Safely Home by Randy Alcorn  The story is amazing.  Set in China, the story is about the persecution of Christians there.  In one part of the story, a section of a Bible is brought out.  It is handwritten.  When the main character asks why it was smudged, he is told those were the tear stains from the one that copied the words.

Since that time, I would often hand-copy Scripture.  But...  I wasn’t consistent.  Mostly I would hand-copy Scripture verses when I was studying and the verses pertained to the topic.  Hand-writing the verses always helped me to remember them.

In December, I was handed a printout of verses to write out as part of an actual Scripture writing plan.  

Our leader had made each lady a copy.  I decided that I would attempt to follow the plan and see how it went.  I bought a small journal for the very purpose of keeping the Scripture writing in one place. 

Writing Scriptures is something that I have fallen in love with in a very short time.  In those moments, I am not just reading the Bible.  I’m not digging deeply into Greek or Hebrew meanings.  It is just my pen and God’s Word.  

Scripture writing is s...l...o...w!  I try to not make errors (but I do), which means paying attention to detail.  Think about it, writing something longhand is very slow reading.  It isn’t just glancing at the words on a page, it is meditating on them, perhaps rereading them a couple times as you write each section of the sentences.  

It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭55:11‬ ‭NLT‬‬


The process of physically writing the verses works the same way anything a person writes out long-hand works. The mind makes a physical connection to the material with the act of transcribing something long-hand.  According to Forbes, “Handwriting increases neural activity in certain sections of the brain, similar to meditation.”

Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.”
‭‭Joshua‬ ‭1:8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭1:2‬ ‭NLT‬‬

God discusses the benefits of meditating on His Word.  What does it mean to meditate on the Word of God?  It means to roll it over in your brain, to think about it, to repeat it to yourself.  Scripture writing does this.  As you write, you are slowly meditating on the words and phrases.  

Forbes also says, “...sequential hand movements, like those used in handwriting, activate large regions of the brain responsible for thinking, language, healing and working memory.”

I knew writing verses out by hand would help to memorize them.  I was stuck by the word ‘healing.’  

The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:18‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭16:24‬ ‭NIV‬‬


Right before Jesus preached the Beatitudes, the Bible has this to say:

...“who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases. Those troubled by impure spirits were cured, and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:18-19‬ ‭NIV‬‬

People came to see Jesus and just tried to touch Him so they could be healed of their diseases.  Can we expect the same from words on a page? 

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:1‬ ‭NIV‬‬


If we take the above verse to heart, the Words we are writing are Jesus.  “And the Word became flesh...”(John 1:14).  Do I think writing Scriptures will heal me?  Who am I to question the power of the Lord.  He heals my heart every time I write.  I almost always have a moment of the Lord filling me with Hos presence and His peace. If He does that with a few verses, I believe His Word has power.

Writing Scriptures is something that only takes a few minutes.  And yet, those few minutes are sometimes the most beautiful part of my day.  It often sets the tone for prayer.  There is a quote I love to share: “Prayer is when we talk to God.  Time in the Word is when He talks to us.”  

Take the time to write out His Word, and I promise He will speak to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lives or Livelihood is the Wrong Question

I have loved ones that are considered high risk.  Being infected with Covid-19 would place their lives in extreme peril.  The though...