Monday, February 5, 2018

Any Dream Will Do


Sometimes a second chance can change a life.  Such is the case for Shay.  Convicted of embezzlement, she is released from jail to begin her life anew, as a felon.

She stumbles into a church and the pastor, Drew, helps her get into a program called New Hope.  This sets the stage for new beginnings for Shay and for Drew.  

This was my first Debbie Macomber novel.  I stumbled upon it at Walmart, in paperback.  As I read the synopsis and the first few pages, I knew I wanted this book in hardback.  So I ordered it, and prayed I wasn’t wasting my money.  

I enjoyed the story immensely. While it wasn’t all I hoped, it made some awesome points as the main character changed her life and the people around her lifted her up. I think we often forget how far we have come.  We often see that person we once were and not the person we have become through Christ.  And there are so many other people that will hold our pasts against us.

Shay faced these issues.  She faced them from the world, but I was struck by how Shay dealt with the worst judgments and criticisms from the church.

And yet, in some ways, I could understand the church’s trepidation.  We want to offer Jesus to the world, to watch Him redeem the lost and the broken.  We also want to use wisdom.  At one point in the book, Shay is offered the opportunity to count the church offerings and set up the deposit.  My own thought was, “I probably wouldn’t extend that kind of trust.”

I know my weak points, the sin that so easily entraps.  Most churches have multiple people counting money for accountability for the very reason that temptation exists, even for someone with no history of theft. 

The story shows a woman that made a poor decision turned her life around and was given a second chance.  Faith’s role was downplayed, and that was a bit sad because the work of Christ in a person’s heart and mind is so much bigger than any other journey.   And yet, there was still so much to the book that showed the process of redemption.  The way many people around Shay fought for her and helped her, uplifted her and stood by her side was an awesome example of how we are supposed to be.

I think the character of Shay made a poor choice while trying to help her brother.  Other than that, her inclination to do her best, to work hard, to reach out to the homeless, and to be friendly to all she met showed her real person underneath was not represented in the mistake that sent her to jail.  She understood that others saw her mistake, her crime, as her identity.  She set out to change that for herself without trying to force that on others.  That speaks volumes about how we should be as new creations in Christ.  We have to live it, not preach it or force it on others.  The genuine changes in us will be seen by all that take the time to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lives or Livelihood is the Wrong Question

I have loved ones that are considered high risk.  Being infected with Covid-19 would place their lives in extreme peril.  The though...