Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The Highlight Reels




Every morning I look at the app on my phone called Timehop.  I see the pictures from years past that were taken on that day.  I see a glimpse of my life with my family through the years.  Sometimes those glimpses are humorous.  Other times they break my heart.  But every day I see part of my journey.



The pictures I have shared over the years on social media are the highlight reel.  I don’t have the pics of the dirty home or the times I lost my temper.  I don't often show the blurry pictures.  I don't even take pictures of the sickness or the times of financial struggle. Most of us don't easily share the mistakes, the tough times, the hurts.  We don't show the two days we laid on the couch binging on Netflix.   We show the pictures of smiling children, playful puppies, beautiful shots of nature, holidays, and special moments.

And that is perfectly fine.  Why?  Because we should be able to focus on the positive in life.  The negative will always be available, tempting us to despair.


I see the beauty of the journey when I look at the memories that I made throughout the years.  I see my children grow.  I see the changes that have occurred.    I see pictures I took of nature, moments in time that captured my attention, the projects I embarked upon.  I remember what my family was going through at that time.  The negative is there, at the cusp of my memory, tempting me to relive the emotions, but the picture is there, reminding me that there were good moments in the tough times. 

When we lacked provision, we had each other.  When we weren't sure how to get through, we did, and the pictures attest to the ongoing journey. When I was overwhelmed and stressed with a large family, I captured the memories of my young daughters playing and dressing up and putting on "shows" for us in the living room. 




My life won’t capture the envy of Hollywood.  It won’t sell bestselling books.  The stories I have lived, the trials I have endured, are the things that God has used to teach me lessons, develop compassion in me for others in similar circumstances, or to give me a testimony of His faithfulness. They aren’t things that others look at and think, “I want that life.”  There are, instead, things I look back at and think, "I have been blessed."

It's okay to be content with what God has given, not with the ideals you imagined in your mind when you were young.  It's okay to not reach every goal or see every dream come to fruition.  It's okay to grasp for simple blessings that don't fit the narrative of success in our culture.




It’s okay because my journey is unique.  I am learning to find joy and peace in the midst of hard times.  I am learning to be positive on purpose.  I am learning to enjoy the blessings, even when my heart is heavy.  I’m learning that the quirks and misunderstood parts of my personality are there for reasons, that fitting in isn’t always a good thing.  I’m learning there are others like me in the world, and they aren’t part of a clique, may not have a tribe, but they add so much value to life.   As I’m doing these things, and learning these things about myself, I find my hard times aren’t so hard.  I find my memories are like the Timehop pictures, focused on the good.  

Social media may show the highlights of my life, but my writing shows the struggles.  I write about the lessons I am learning, the pleas in my heart to God, the mundane homeschooling project, and walk in the snow.  I write because that is part of me also. Combined with the photos, I see a journey. I may never be rich.  I may never be famous.  My blog posts don’t often reach thousands.  But never have I written a post or taken a photo with a big goal.  I record my journey.  Sometimes it’s visually. Other times, being a “word” girl, it is in writing.  



My adventures will probably always be small.  That isn’t me saying I won’t set big goals or dream big dreams.  It’s me saying that I won’t feel like my life has failed if I never get to do the big things. For instance, if all I do is raise my children, homeschooling each to graduation, I will know I did what God told me to do.  If I get to finish my degree and one day work in a library, I will consider that a success.  If I continue to learn and grow and live with love and authenticity, then I will have been me.  If I continue to serve God, learning about Him, worshiping and loving Him, I will know He will use my life both here in earth and in eternity.  

In the end, I hope I choose to bless those around me, to speak life into their days, to love unafraid. Being content with a life, my life, that God blesses me with is a choice, a decision.  Choosing to live each day finding meaning in the mundane is one of the keys to knowing purpose.  Making that meal, washing that laundry, reading to that child, studying that lesson, rinse and repeat...  those are what make a life.  




The highlight reel on social media is perfectly fine as long as you see the beauty in your days and not compare the good you display and the bad you hide with only the good in someone else's highlight reel.  We should focus on the good, learn from the struggles, and keep pressing on.  If your life isn’t the stuff of a Hollywood movie, that’s perfectly fine.  If you don’t die famous, life is still good.  And if you somehow don’t get all your dreams fulfilled, but loved well and kept going with as much joy as possible, your life will have been a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lives or Livelihood is the Wrong Question

I have loved ones that are considered high risk.  Being infected with Covid-19 would place their lives in extreme peril.  The though...